In the following I will put some links to free tools that I found useful …
… it is a growing list!
Please, do suggest even more in your comments!
Nice tools (for free)
- 7zip: to save the zipped file in a different folder and/or create multiple compressed folders in one go (see how to).
- AOMEI Partition Assistant: disk manager useful whenever the embedded Windows tool can’t do what you need (e.g. merging not contiguous volumes)
- Audacity: a free multi-track audio editor and recorder (for Windows; LADSPA plug-ins 0.4.15 installer – Contains over 90 plug-ins.; Plug-Ins – Download additional effects and filters; LAME MP3 encoder – Allows Audacity to export MP3 files). As an payment alternative (limited free use): GoldWave or Sound Forge Audio Studio.
- CamStudio: free Streaming Video Software (tutorial video): be careful to click the proper button that download that sw, that is nearly at the end of the page; moreover do during the installation, do not agree to the installation of all the other companion useless sw!!!
- Easy Thumbnails: to produce thumbnails the easy way, quickly and for free!
- ExifTool: platform-independent Perl library plus a command-line application for reading, writing and editing meta information in a wide variety of files (e.g. pictures, in order to set copyright metadata); it is also available as a stand-alone Windows executable and a Macintosh OS X package.
- FastStone Image Viewer 5.5 / FastStone Photo Resizer 3.5: 1) image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, color adjustments, musical slideshow and much more; 2) An image converter and renaming tool that intends to enable users to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermarks to images in a quick and easy batch mode.
- FileZilla: FTP client/server.
- FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder – Video converter (see this video)
- HandBrake: convert video from nearly any format
- Flickr uploader: client to easily upload photos in Flickr.
- Freepik: graphic resources (also vectorial ones) for everyone
- GIMP: graphic editor (like Photoshop)
- Image Tuner: a free batch image resizing, renaming, conversion and watermarking software.
- InkSkape: vectorial editor (like Illustrator)
- Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture (SP2): audio/video coding application (see, for example, ScreenCapture_07-05-2012 17.42.12.wmv) (see also: How to Record Your PC Screen for Free in HD)
- Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware scanner, detects and removes worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, spyware and other dangerous malware from your home PC. (how to use)
- Microsoft Remote Desktop assistant: on the Windows PC you want to connect to remotely, download the Microsoft Remote Desktop assistant to configure your PC for remote access.
- Noip.com: the freedom to connect to your devices from anywhere.
- Notepad++: improved editor (a possible alternative to the not free ultraedit).
- Open Live Writer: new open source version of Microsoft Windows Live Writer, which has now become a community driven project. It is the best tool to write blog posts: it can also compose blogs posts offline and then publish on your return. It works with many popular blog service providers such as WordPress, Blogger, TypePad, Moveable Type, DasBlog and many more.
- Putty: Telnet and SSH client.
- Real VNC: remote access software for desktop and mobile platforms.
- Speccy: to find out the OS Windows’s serial number of your PC.
- SUPER: video converter. It allows also to extract an audio from a video (be careful to click on the proper download *link* that is not on the first page and it is not very highlighted!): be careful that there is a pay version without additional 3rd party Bundle Offers, Toolbars or Addons (recommended), and a free one that ask during installation possibly to install other SW (I you decide to choose the free one BE CAREFUL => you have to choose Advanced Install – and not the recommended one – and uncheck ALL the proposed 3rd party installations and then choose Decline when you are offered to install any other additional SW like One System Care !!! In any case possibly some malware could be installed so be careful to have your Defender antivirus well updated … in my case Defender found – and suddenly deleted – 3 malware during the installation). Finally you will have the real Super SW installation.
- Screen Hunter: free screen capture (a possible alternative to the embedded – and perhaps even better now – Snipping Tool)
- ScreenToGif (in codeplex too) (or LICEcap): record your screen and save directly to a gif looped animation.
- Tools to Extract Product Key:
- Microsoft Windows Product Key Viewer
- Belarc Advisor – Free Personal PC Audit
- SIWSystem Information for Windows
- Magical Jelly Bean
- MJB Keyfinder
- NirSoft ProduKey
- Win keyfinder
- Recover Keys
- NOTE: local install of Office do not have a “deactivation” process. So you simply do an uninstall of current installation to comply with the license terms limiting concurrent installations. The uninstall process does NOT communicate with the MS activation system. Office 365 (2013) introduced a user controlled “deactivation” process that only applies to 365 installations. You need 3 things to be able to transfer the installation:
- A license that allows transfers
- Your unique 25 character product key
- The matching generic installation file
- TortoiseSVN: client SVN
- TortoiseGit: client GIT
- USB Flash Drive Speed Tests – Any Drive Size: USBDeview utility (Download USBDeview; Download USBDeview for x64 systems) [see also This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost]
- Video to Video Converter: converter from every format (e.g. avi -> mp4)
- VLC media player (now not only a desktop application but also as an app of the Windows Store, with less functions till now): a video player (alternative to the embedded Windows Media Player) [Utilizza VLC media player come convertitore di file video da MP4, WMV e DIVX; Utilizza il riproduttore VLC Media Player per catturare lo schermo del PC … ma tali funzionalità non sembrano funzionare su Windows 10 :-/].
- Windows Device Recovery Tool: (ex Windows Phone Recovery Tool, even before Lumia Recovery Tool): to recover / reset the phone SW (e.g. to roll back from Windows 10 Mobile preview to Windows Phone 8.1): see also How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?
- Windows Media Player: already available in Windows 10. It allows also to rip music (e.g. convert a CD audio to MP3 files) => see my post on how to do that!
- Windows USB/DVD Download Tool: to extract an ISO on a USB pen (must be 4GB+), avoiding to waste a DVD. It requests the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 that may be not present in your system, so you could have to install from here.
- Wondershare DVD Creator (or see: How to Burn Disc Image from ISO or IMG files in Window 10)